Windows downloads needed:
PuTTy can be downloaded from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
Xming can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=156984&filename=Xming-6-9-0-31-setup.exe
Mac download needed:
Once install according to their respective instructions move on the the configurations below.
- Run Applications > Utilities > XQuartz.app
- Right click on the XQuartz icon in the dock and select Applications > Terminal.
In this xterm windows, ssh into the linux system of your choice using the -X argument (secure X11 forwarding).
- Log into the Econ Cluster using login.econ.duke.edu or faculty.econ.duke.edu
- Example: ssh -X -Y(NetID)@login.econ.duke.edu or ssh -X -Y (NetID)@faculty.econ.duke.edu
Save the configuration and close XLaunch
After installing PuTTy:
- Double click on Putty to launch.
Enter the following connection settings:
- Host Name: login.econ.duke.edu or faculty.econ.duke.edu
- Port: 22
- Connection Type: SSH (default)
On the left side Under Category
- Click the “+” next to SSH
- Click the “+” next to Auth
- Check box: Enable X11 Forwarding
- Go back to Session on the left pane
- Under Saved Sessions, Type “Econ” or any name of your choosing
- Click Save
The most important setting is the X11 Forwarding. Without that set, the X-window system cannot find your PC for display. Save the configuration by typing a name (i.e. econ) in the box under 'Saved Sessions' on the Sessions screen. Press the Save button to save the configuration. Click Open to open the terminal window or Cancel to close PuTTy.
Once you are logged into the Econ Cluster, you can just run the GUI program of your choice, such as matlab or for use stata or xstata
Example: NetID@login-01 ~]$ matlab
Example: NetID@login-01 ~]$ xstata or stata